Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Search...


Why did I go to school?
(Originally written 12/6/2007)

Got a call yesterday. Evidently, it's time for me to start paying back my school loans.

So I asked the person on the phone what my payments would be... My jaw hit the floor. It seems that my monthly payments are almost as much as my rent!

After gathering my breath and slowing the beating of my heart, I told them, politely, that I couldn't friggin' pay that much in a month. They kindly directed me to the consolidation department so that I could combine my loans and have a lower monthly payment.

It gets better.

One of the questions that I was asked is if I wanted to pay the principle and the interest, or just the interest? What the hell kind of question is that? Given a choice, I would like to pay just the principle and interest be damned. These loans aren't compounding, so I'm not charged interest on the interest. I guess they know that their shit is a scam and try their damndest to swindle as many people as possible.

My point is, school is not worth the debt. I have both an Associates and a Bachelors, and I am still working in the same job as when I was attending school. My degrees have not helped me for shit, but here I am, neck deep in debt because of them.

This country sucks. I wish we could have an apprenticeship system like Europe. I know I have the skills. What I don't understand is why I need a friggin' piece of paper to show others that.
My head hurts.

No comments: