Saturday, May 23, 2009

Clit's Consternation

Across the Universe.
(Originally written 2/11/2008)

So I watched Across the Universe yesterday, and it was amazing. Well, weird would be a better word for it, but amazing describes my overall appraisal of the film.

I was intrigued when I first saw the trailer for it; a movie based on the music of the Beatles seemed like a great idea to me. But I never got the chance to see it in the theater. Anyway, after I watched it, I was damn near blown away at how well-made it was. The selection of songs was almost perfect; I had issue with a few of them, one of them "Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite" (I just don't like that song). However, the imagery used during that sequence was awesome.
What I liked best was the way they used other aspects of Beatles songs besides the songs themselves. Jude. Lucy. Sadie. Max. All of these are names of Beatles' songs in one way or another. I also like in the beginning the man who says the phrase "When I'm 64."

All in all, Across the Universe is a great movie, especially one based on an idea put forth in a Powerpuff Girls episode. But I don't hold that against it; in fact, it helps to bolster it's credibility.

No comments: