Tuesday, May 19, 2009

CockFace

Before the Dinosaurs.
(Originally written 1/6/2008)

I'm watching this show on the Discovery Channel, and it's pretty awesome. The whole thing is about creatures that lived and evolved before the time of the dinosaurs. There are some really cool looking things like a spider the size of a human head (called the Mesothele, or something like that) and a dragonfly the size of an eagle.

It's really interesting the way that human traits evolved from reptiles and fish. Evidently, the reptiles were the first to have multi-chambered hearts, which pumped blood through their bodies faster, giving them the speed to outrun predators. Also, there was a certain fish, the name of which escapes me now, that had memory, which they used to return to the same spawning spot.

It looks like they are getting to the dinosaurs soon. They just introduced the Dimetrodon, the large, fin-backed reptile. I always confused that for being a dinosaur, but I know they were in a similar time period. (Apparently I'm off by about 30 million years. Go figure.)

I like this show. I can feel myself getting smarter.

Well, not really. But I still like it.

No comments: