Saturday, May 23, 2009

Countdown To Party Time

Brand New Day.
(Originally written 1/28/2008)

For those unfamiliar with the subject at hand, the title of this post refers to the new direction the Spider-Man comics have taken. Bear in mind that this may contain spoilers for those interested.
I'm not sure I like the whole "Brand New Day" thing. To me, it seems like a cop out. This is the kind of shit that DC would do to fix their continuity. Oh, wait. This is the kind of shit that DC would do to fix their continuity.

I think that erasing the last decade of Spider-Man history is just dumb. They have had so many good, strong character driven stories. Just to do away with that...? Come on. Spider-Man revealing his identity to the world during Civil War was one of the ballsiest things Marvel could have done. Now, that has all been erased. I am certain that there were so many awesome directions they could have taken this. Sadly, Marvel wanted to take the cheap way out and fix their "mistakes."

What bothers me the most about this is that it all stems from Joe Quesada's dislike of the Peter Parker/Mary Jane marriage. The entire delivery just seemed forced to me. Not to mention the fact that by Peter Parker giving up his marriage and future with his hot, supermodel wife in order to save the life of his old, elderly aunt who has lived a full, happy life just seems really... creepy to me. Just how much does Peter care for his aunt? And now Mary Jane is a super hero? What the fuck?

I'm still going to read Amazing Spider-Man, if not just to see in which direction they take this concept. Seeing as how Spider-Man is my favorite super hero, I really hope this thing gets better. But if it doesn't, I'm gonna have a huge vendetta against Marvel.

No comments: