Friday, June 19, 2009

The Pay Off

A great weekend for comic book geeks.
(originally written 4/27/2008)

As 7-11 and Burger King have been making everyone aware, there is this small, independent movie called "Iron Man" opening up this weekend. Now, I cannot say for sure if it will be any good or not, but I'm betting it's going to pull in an ass-load of money. Given the past few movies based on Marvel characters opening in May, well, I think Marvel thinks Iron Man is good enough to premiere in May. Clearly it's not on the level of Ghost Rider or Daredevil (though I didn't mind Daredevil that much.)

In addition to this, however, Saturday is a special time of year. Free Comic Book Day is May 3rd, so everyone celebrate. For those who are unfamiliar with FCBD, what it is is a promotion for the comic book industry in which anyone can walk into a comic book store and get a comic. For free. No money. Not even a penny.

The purpose behind the promotion is to open up the industry to people who aren't familiar with comics. Non-readers may be more inclined to read a comic if it were free. While I don't know how successful in this venture FCBD has been, I certainly enjoy because it's a great idea either way.

Anyway, my point is, go see Iron Man on Friday. Go get a free comic on Saturday. Enjoy the weekend. I know I will.

No comments: