Thursday, April 23, 2009

Genesis: Chapter 3

The Impending Arrival of All Hallow's Eve
(Originally written 10/21/2007)

As I type this there is a mere ten days left until the pagan holiday of Halloween arrives. And, man, I couldn't be more excited.

I have always loved Halloween. Maybe it had something to do with the free candy (I was always kind of the fat kid). Maybe it was the dressing up in costumes and pretending to be something other than myself. But, either way, I always thought of Halloween as being "the shit."

Now that I am an adult, things are a little different for me, but I still like Halloween. Just yesterday, my girlfriend and I went pumpkin picking. (If you are in the area of Hackettstown, NJ, I suggest checking out Donaldson Farms. They have an awesome set-up there.) We got a few pumpkins ranging in sizes and we plan on carving those puppies up. The best part about carving pumpkins is not making the scary, funny, or cute little faces, but making pumpkin seeds. Anyone who has had pumpkin seeds knows how good they are, especially with a little Molly McButter salt. Mmmm, mmmm.

That's not all we do for Halloween. When we got home from the farm, I hung the lights out on the porch. I know it sounds corny, but I like coming home from work to see the ghosts and pumpkins and bats hanging out side my apartment. Especially now that it's dark when I finally get home, I can really see them well.
I also plan on constructing the Halloween-town set-up that my girlfriend and I got from Michael's, the arts and crafts store. We purchased most of the stuff last year, but we also picked up a few of the new 2007 additions. It looked very cool last year and I expect it to be better now.
Most people say that Halloween is a holiday for kids. I really won't argue this point because, to be quite honest, I still consider myself to be a kid. So my love for Halloween could not be classified as a thing of "immaturity," but is merely me acting my age.

No comments: