Saturday, July 11, 2009

It's German for "Evil Twin"

Anyone else excited about Ultimate Jubilee?
(Originally written 6/9/2008)

I was quite disappoint when Marvel de-powered Jubilee as a result of M-Day. I had always liked this character, despite the fact that she was a mash-up of Dazzler and Kitty Pryde, created to help Wolverine with his brusque attitude and give him something to care about. But regardless, I felt that a few writers did some great things with Jubilee, most notably after she joined the ranks of Generation X.

So imagine my surprise as I flipped through the pages of Ultimate X-Men #94 and saw Jubilee standing there among the ranks of Alpha Flight. A smile crept across my face as none had ever done in the past.

I really hope that she plays some sort of role in the upcoming storyline and is not just there to appease readers (like myself) or as canon fodder. Jubilee has a lot of potential, if only any writer where willing to use it. Anyway, I suggest you check it out, if you haven't already. And not just for Jubilee, mind you (though I wouldn't judge you for that.) Pick up this issue because it is the beginning of a storyline by Aron Coleite, who has done some great writing for the television series Heroes. If you don't read Ultimate X-Men, or have dropped out of it for a while, this would be a good place to pick it back up.

Speaking of all of this, as I tried to find a link to the cover for U:XM #94, I came across this bio of Jubilee. What I thought was interesting is that she joined the ranks of the new New Warriors after the Marvel Civil War. I had gotten the first issue, but quickly abandoned it because it really wasn't doing anything for me. But after learning this, and learning that the New Warriors are all ex-students of Xavier's, I may have to track down some back issues. I would like to read what all of this business is about.

No comments: